Monday, October 25, 2010

Laughter and Love

Laughter: Emma makes us laugh regularly now. Sometimes she is trying to be silly, and sometimes she is really funny without trying at all. Last night, as we were making dinner for some friends, we lit a candle. Emma asked whose birthday it was. This was a logical question, given that she had two friends’ birthday parties this weekend. We told her it wasn’t anyone’s birthday. Then, she said, “I know! It’s the first night of Hanukkah.” Though we used to live in a very diverse area, that was before Emma was born. She has actually never talked to anyone who celebrates Hanukkah, but in the past, we have let her learn about other holidays through a Sesame Street video. Obviously she’s just been watching for signs that we’re beginning the Hanukkah celebration. Along those same lines, she likes to get really close to Lily, especially when we’re not in the room, and quietly ask her, “How do you celebrate Kwanzaa, baby?” I’ve come around the corner more than once to happen upon this sweet scene. 


Love: Emma really knows how to show love. We were eating lunch with Grandma when Emma said that she wanted to take Grandma to a restaurant in town. I told her that Daddy would take her on their upcoming daddy / daughter date. Emma adores Daddy, but she said, “No, I want to take Grandma.” I asked her why. She replied, “Because she’s my best friend.” I think it made Grandma’s week! We have started playing this Mad – Sad – Glad game that I learned about at my church Mom to Mom group. Emma loves it. The first night we played, I asked her and my hubby what had made them glad, sad, and mad that day. After the two of them had gone, the subject somehow got changed. Emma persisted, though, and said, “Excuse me, Mommy. What made you glad today?” She is thoughtful to make sure no one gets their feelings hurt, and she wanted to make sure I didn’t get left out. When Daddy has to go on business trips, she eagerly colors him pictures and dictates notes to him. We hide them in his suitcase, and she talks about how Daddy is in “Connecticut.” If Lily is desperate for a doll, even if it’s one Emma really wants to play with, she usually gives Lily a turn with it. If Lily is crying, Emma will sometimes start giggling just to get baby sister feeling better and giggling with her. After Emma went to a classmate’s spa / doll / tea party birthday spectacular this weekend, I asked her what her favorite parts of the party were. She answered “the snack” and “bringing a present to my friend, Lily.” She truly loves to give (and she also loves to eat!) Emma continues to be a tender, thoughtful kid. We are thankful for the smiles she gives us and how she tugs on our heartstrings.

No comments:

Post a Comment