Thursday, March 4, 2010

Baby Love

There is nothing quite like baby love, that complete trust that I get to be on the receiving end of as a mom. I can imagine few sweeter moments possible in my life as a mother than the ones when I stroke baby Lily’s hair as she folds herself into me while eating, hold her close to me as I burp her, and feel her melt into me as she slides into her sweet slumbers. When I look back upon my children’s infanthood someday, I hope that this is what I will remember, for it is a love so pure that it will help carry me through the days when they forget that I know anything. At least for now, I am Lily’s favorite person. She claps when I enter the room, holds out her arms for me when she’s in someone else’s, and sticks her thumb in her mouth the moment that I begin to hold her. I am so grateful to be someone’s complete comfort. I know that life will not always be this simple for her, that there will be things and people that will hurt her, but for now, when I cuddle her close, I am able to give her the gifts of love, comfort, acceptance, security. She, in turn, gives me the enormously rich gift of baby love in a small but very snuggly package.

No comments:

Post a Comment