For the sake of our family’s nostalgia someday, I decided to compile a list of the nicknames for each of my girls. To think, I worried so much about what we would call them. It turns out that the pet names we’ve given our girls tell more about them (and us…I guess we’re more whimsical than our naming rules might have suggested) than any name we could have chosen before we knew who they really were.
Another mom and I were talking once about how, as hard as you try to choose the perfect name for your child, once you get to know the unique little one you have been given, your name choice can’t help but seem woefully inadequate. I told her that I think it is because there is no single word that can possibly encompass all of the hopes and dreams, all of the uniqueness and promise of the sweet life that you are able to watch unfold before you.
I guess that is why Conant and I have broken our rule about nicknames. As our girls and our relationship with them continue to evolve, so will the names that we will use to call them to the dinner table, to tuck them in at night, to swing them in our arms. That’s the beauty of nicknames…they aren’t written on any official documents, they don’t have to follow any rules, and one word doesn’t have to capture all we feel for the miracle that is each of our daughters.
Emma Grace:
Munchy (for her ability to eat almost constantly from the time she was a small baby...who could blame her, weighing in at 5 lbs. 12 oz. and 20 inches long?), Munchy Punchy (a combo of her ability to eat and the fists she made as an infant), Munch-a-Puncha (again, her love of eating and the fact that she looked like a prized fighter with her fists always at the ready), The Munch (notice how many derivatives we made from just one character trait…I didn’t say imaginative, just whimsical), Emma Bunny (she had the cutest little bunny robe as a baby), Bun-a-Bun (stemming from the bunny thing), Bun to the Oven (silly tangential from the bunny), Pumpkin (just a term of endearment), Pumpkin Pie (she was too sweet to leave off the dessert portion), Emma Gracie Facey (having fun with her middle name), Gracie Facey (just a shorter version), Sissy (a term of endearment for her new status as the big sis),
Lily Rebecca:
Peanut (Conant’s nickname for the 6 lb. 2 oz. addition to our family), Peanut Butter (my add-on to Conant’s nickname…maybe my girls get their love of food from me?? I think I’m responsible for all of the food nicknames.), Lily-Meister (a goofy one I came up with in my sleep-deprived state when Lily was new and I wanted her to sound extra-cool to her big sister), Lily, Lily, Golden Bell (some friends gave us an Elisabeth Mitchell CD that has this song on it…great kids’ music because it is palatable for the adult, too…hard to come by and worth nicknaming a kid over), Golden Belle (do you get the trend? Another take off from the Elisabeth Mitchell song…Emma very sweetly calls her baby sister this quite regularly), Lily Pad (courtesy of Uncle J…really should have seen this one coming…missed it during my pregnancy ponderings), More to come, I’m sure...
Blogging things like this are so nice, so you will always remember. Many of my blog posts are like that - a FB status will only last a day, but on the blog I feel like I have a permanent record of whatever it is. You are a very skilled writer.
ReplyDelete