Monday, December 6, 2010

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

I am not someone who loves the winter weather, but in spite of that, I find that this is my favorite time of the year. With Christmas fast approaching, it is a time when we remember how very loved we are, and in turn, we are able to show love to others. It is a time to think of family and friends, a chance to show our appreciation to those who teach our children, an opportunity to start new traditions and uphold old ones. It is a time to think of those who are in need…of a smile, a friend, warm clothes. It is a time when little ones like my Emma go against what child development says about egocentricity and think of others before themselves. The other day, we were busy making Christmas gifts for loved ones in Emma and Lily’s lives. As soon as I thought we were finished, Emma would think of someone new. At the end, she said we had two more to do, one for God and one for Jesus. She has been asking a lot of questions this year, and it is interesting to see her understanding of Christmas grow and change. On our last mommy / daughter date, we spent our time together shopping for a four-year-old girl. I told Emma that this little girl didn’t have new clothes or toys to play with, and she was instantly committed to making this a special Christmas for her. As we shopped at Target, she spotted many things that she was sure this little girl would love. When I stopped to check out a winter hat and mittens for Emma, she wisely reminded me, “Mommy, we need to be getting things for the little girl who doesn’t have anything, not me.” My heart melted, and a lady passing by gave an audible, “awww!” Sometimes I think we underestimate our kids and how much they can appreciate the giving nature of the season. Though, before I give the perception that Emma is not still a three-year-old, by the time we got to the second store, she told me that both she and the little girl would love to have a Barbie. We bought one Barbie, and thankfully Emma was still very excited to give it away. I have decided to make our shopping trip a yearly date, with us focusing on someone we have never met yet hope to give a little bit merrier Christmas.


The giving spirit is in the air this time of year. A friend of mine said that her daughter was doing jobs around the house to buy Emma a present for Christmas. Emma was excited when I shared this idea, and she promptly started to work doing jobs that are above and beyond her usual chores. She dusted all of the woodwork, vacuumed the steps, and asked for even more work. She is saving her dimes and quarters to go to the dollar store and pick out a couple of items for her friends. Saturday, she took some of the hard-earned money and brought it to church to help buy kids in Uganda clean water. I am proud of her thoughtfulness and glad that she willingly gave without me having to convince her. Part of the magic of the holidays is traditions, those things we know we can look forward to and look back on with those we love. A Christmas tradition I started this year is to buy a new dated Christmas ornament for each girl that I will place in her stocking. As I hung ornaments on our tree that were mine from the 70s and 80s, I thought of my girls being able to reminisce about their childhoods each year when they are grown. I decided that they will each have a collection to begin their Christmas tree someday. Thankfully, their aunt and uncle and grandparents already started this collection. I look forward to continuing it. This year, I chose an ornament for Lily that has a bear dressed for the outdoors because she loves to be outside and an ornament entitled “Snow Buddies” for Emma because of all of her new preschool friends. A tradition I started two years ago was to have Christmas pancakes on Christmas morning. I simply press a cookie cutter in the top of each pancake, and it makes an already lovable food even more festive. Plus, it is a simple food to make and easy to fit in even with all of the excitement of kids and presents. I can taste the maple syrup already! As Christmas approaches, I can feel the excitement in the air. Nineteen-month-old Lily even celebrated by spelling her name for the first time on Saturday. She must know that there is something special about December. To cap off an already great start to December, we had our family pictures taken. Yes, hope did spring anew, but so did wisdom. This time, I took an entire support system. Conant met us there, and Grandpa and Grandma came along to help us get some smiles. Emma told me that she was going to “listen the whole time” because she remembered how disappointed I was after the first experience. Lily seemed to put all of her effort into being cooperative, as well. I am so happy with our new pictures and even happier about the people in them.


I have always loved Christmas, but for me, having children makes it sweeter, more meaningful, filled with greater anticipation and gratitude and gifts. As I look at our Christmas tree with ornaments filled with memories and meaning, as I gaze at the presents that will bring smiles to others, as I think of how loved we are and how blessed we are, I am so grateful for this truly wonderful time of the year. It may be cold outside, but may the season warm each one of us from the inside out.

No comments:

Post a Comment