


Emma is at such a fun age of imitation. This can be daunting as a mother, as I am modeling with every move I make whether I intend to or not. Nevertheless, it is also touching to have such influence on someone I love with all of my heart. Today, she was my sous chef as we made homemade granola and chocolate chip bars, saying, “Mommy, I love to help you.” One-year-old Lily got in on the action, urgently begging to help pat the granola into the pan until I let her have a turn. Emma was a sweet big sister, saying, “That made her so happy, Mommy.” Even those words echoed mine when I reminded her that it makes Lily so happy when E shares her toys.
Later today, as I prepared to sweep the kitchen floor, Emma ran to get the broom for me, “helping” by wielding the adult-sized broom as best she could and trying to sweep as I do, starting in the all-you-didn’t-eat-buffet of our kitchen, under the table. While I was scrubbing the toilet, she grabbed the toilet brush and gave it her best effort. I was amazed at how she already knew how to do it just from observing.
The icing on the cake, though, came as I was cleaning the shower and she was watching my every move. I absolutely love the wonderment, the questions, the learning of a three-year-old. As I scrubbed with a toothbrush that is, of course, reserved for cleaning, Emma leaned in closely and asked, “
Whose toothbrush is that, Mommy?”
I tried to imagine what went through her mind. Still, I couldn’t decide if she was horrified or simply filing one more procedure away as the method she plans to use to clean her house someday. And once again, the power of parenting hit me…none of us are truly normal, but her “normal” will be what she sees in these walls in these years, as she is forming her own opinions about how things are done. As I mentioned, this is rather daunting as a mom who will make mistakes no matter how hard I try. May I be worthy of imitation more often than not, may she always feel comfortable to ask for clarification rather than scrub mildew and plaque with the same toothbrush, and may she have other people in her life who model integrity, wisdom, and better cleaning skills than me.
No comments:
Post a Comment