Thursday, July 22, 2010

Gratitude Generates Generosity

My girls both look forward to breakfast time from the moment they first wake in the morning. Tuesday, Lily had her Cheerios while she was waiting for her oatmeal to cool off. Emma was going potty and missed the Cheerios portion of breakfast, so after oatmeal, she had her Cheerios. Of course, this did not seem fair to fourteen-month-old Lily. She had long since forgotten that she had already eaten her Cheerios. All she saw was that big sis was getting a treat after oatmeal and she was not. She cried, and I saw Emma’s wheels turning. Pretty soon, Emma began very meticulously analyzing the cereal remaining on her plate. After carefully scrutinizing things, she picked up the most anemic, sad looking, can’t-believe-it-made-it-through-quality-control, skinny little “O” that I’ve ever seen and brought it over to Lily. Still, I was happy that Emma was showing compassion when the three-year-old concept of fairness said she did not need to share. Lily squealed with absolute delight, rejoicing that not only was she now in possession of the coveted snack, but that her very cool big sister had given it to Lily herself. Looking at Lily’s beaming face and listening to her sounds of gratitude, Emma got a thoughtful look on her face, broke into a grin, and said, “Look, Mommy. It made her so happy!” With that, Emma returned to her plate to do some more considered sorting. She seemed to use the same care in choosing as she had the first time, and then I saw her pick up another of the Cheerios to share with little sis. This time, though, it was the most robust, healthy, super jumbo sized “O” that you can imagine, truly the most plentiful one on her plate. I felt a warmth come over me as I saw the selflessness shine in Emma and the gratitude glimmer in Lily’s eyes. Sometimes in motherhood, I learn such lessons from my children. As Emma saw her little sister’s gratitude, the generosity in her heart grew, inspiring a greater kindness than either of us could have anticipated. Often, when we can step away from our own concept of fairness and give even a little to someone who may not “deserve it,” we see the positive impact it has, and we are the ones inspired toward even more altruistic acts of generosity. Though it may be idealistic, having children helps me recall the idealism of my own youth. Generosity has the opportunity to inspire gratitude, gratitude just might generate greater generosity, and that same generosity could give others the gift of a grateful heart. What a wonderful cycle in a family, in a community, in a world. I was given a reminder of this lesson from the two littlest people in my world. And for that, I am very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment